BGHC GROW THE GAME Hockey Initiative
BGHC “GROW THE GAME” HOCKEY INITIATIVE
The Burlington Girls Hockey Club (the “BGHC”) is launching an exciting new program focused on “Grow the Game” of hockey for young female athletes in Burlington. Girls are under-represented in sport, and our organization wants to support more girls to enjoy the benefits of hockey and have them continue playing this sport for years to come.
The BGHC is committed to Grow the Game of Hockey for female athletes and will be launching our new initiative for the 2023-24 season.
Players aged 4-6 (birth years 2017-2019 for the 2023/24 season) will be able to join the BGHC IP(Fundamentals) hockey program FOR FREE!
Our GOAL is to introduce hockey to 200+ new athletes for our 2023-24 season.
The BGHC is devoted to the development of young females, and we are passionate about the sport of hockey. The BGHC Grow the Game program aims to introduce more girls to hockey by eliminating barriers to participation, promoting inclusivity, and providing equal opportunities for young girls in Burlington to develop through sport.
- Physical health: Regular participation helps to develop and maintain strong bones, muscles, and joints. It also helps to improve cardiovascular health, balance, coordination, and conditioning. Creating a love for sport at a young age will help ensure continued physical activity over their lifetime.
- Mental health: Participation in hockey and being part of a team can improve self-esteem and body image, reduce stress and anxiety, and promote positive social interactions.
- Skill development: Girls who participate in hockey can develop a range of physical and mental skills, including teamwork, leadership, problem-solving, and goal-setting, resilience and commitment.
- Socialization: Hockey provides opportunities for girls to socialize with peers, make friends, and develop important social skills. Providing them a safe and welcoming environment to grow and experience and support one another.
- Empowerment: Hockey participation can empower girls by promoting confidence, independence, and a sense of achievement – if they see it they can be it.
The BGHC Grow the Game program focuses on:
- Affordability: learn to play for free - fees waived for entry level participants ages 4-6;
- Consistency: support the basics – equipment (some restrictions), skill development, consistent ice times
- Inclusivity: welcoming girls ages 4-6 – interested to learn, try the sport, and be part of a team (subject to a maximum of 300 participants for the 2023-24 season)
- Fun: Female Role models – our Head Coach Celina Clark specializes in fun with a focus on development and skills to help develop a true love of hockey for all our young athletes
Due to a high amount of interest,
registration for Grow the Game has reached capacity and is now closed.
We're excited to meet all our new players in the Fall!
We are actively seeking support from the community to ensure the program is an overwhelming success. Our goal is to have 200 girls aged 4-6 have the opportunity to learn to play for a season, at no financial cost to them. This represents a four times increase in enrollment!
In order to support 200+ players for the coming season, we have set a fundraising goal of $150,000.
If you are interested in learning more about this program or how you or your business can get involved, please contact Kelly Allin, BGHC Treasurer ([email protected]), Director of fundraising Sandy Wilson ([email protected]) or our IP leader and Head Coach Celina Clark ([email protected]) for more information.